Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Gravity Lifts Me Up, Higher N' Higher

The mystery that drew me to the gym, the indescribable urge materialized in a series of slow-moving challenges between a barbell nailed to the gym floor and me.


I hadn't noted that the gravity in the vicinity of the lifting platform registered in the red zone late Saturday afternoon. I loaded on the plates and proceeded to execute deadlifts, or more accurately, as I recall, it was the other way around; they executed me - 6 sets x 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, and 2 reps.

guy lifting carI started with the bar and a plate and a half, or 185 lbs, for 12 reps. With each successive set, I added 50 pounds till the last set of 405 lbs for 2. I don't know what's more hysterical, the high reps or the heavy weight.

Sufficiently warmed up, I continued my mirthful routine with of wide-grip bent-over barbell rows supersetted with mid-weight, stiff-arm pullovers using the Odis thick-bar.
What Does Supersetted Mean?
A superset is the alternating back and forth between two (or more) exercises until the prescribed number of sets is complete, usually with no rest between exercises. There are various types of supersets, however.

No rush at this point, as I met up with Bill Keyes, who was exercising at my gym, the famous good-natured Large Man (a.k.a. Big Fellow, Sir Huge, Mountain), who regularly moderates the IOL discussion group and passes out strength advice to the hardy.

Between sets we discussed iron bending and metal moving and agreed, since he was visiting from out-of-town and we rarely see each other, heavy-duty monster conversation was permissible.

No comments:

Post a Comment