Tuesday, February 3, 2015

2 HIGH-PERFORMANCE CHEST WORKOUTS FOR SHOW AND GO

Is your chest all show and no go? These superset-driven workouts will fix that—if you can survive the onslaught.


The ideal of a massive, muscular chest is a throwback to a distant era, when Arnold Schwarzenegger stalked bodybuilding stages and the big screen.
Today, although we appreciate Arnold's 58-inch chest, full-body function is more often the desired outcome of our efforts in the gym. 
That means we shall favor multifunctional, dynamic exercises that blend strength, agility, and flexibility. Alas, the pectorals have faded in overall importance, becoming just one cog in the upper-body machinery.
This transference from aesthetics to performance begs the obvious question: 
Why the hell can't we have both? Why can't we have powerful, muscular pecs that can kick ass when called upon?
The short answer is: We can.
We in fact can "show and go." Here's how I've hacked the standard bodybuilding chest workouts from Arnold's heyday for today's functional fitness generation.

READY - CRAFTING PERFECT PECS THAT WORK


Inspired by a man some might call the "Arnold" of Generation Y, Hugh Jackman, I have drafted a chest workout that promotes power and stamina through sheer volume and intensity.

I was just starting to work out right around the time I saw Hugh Jackman in 'The Wolverine'. I remember thinking, 'Wow, I want my chest and triceps to be that big!' So, like most teenagers, I trained chest every chance I got."
These days, mys workouts are more diversified—and certainly more strategic—while including that same primal element: Press as much weight as you can with maximum intensity and precision form.
The difference between his approach and that of most of his peers? About 45 degrees. I believe incline pressing is where I really made the most improvements in my chest. When everyone else was flat pressing, I was always incline pressing. I feel like that works the entire chest a lot more.
My chest workout is anything but normal. I use just about every technique I can think of: dropsets, rest-pause, supersets, partials... anything that brings up the intensity.
INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS

Before proposing his program to gym-goers, I offer a warning: "I wouldn't recommend this to someone new to training. You could end up injured because of the sheer volume." But for those who have been working out seriously for at least six months, this eight-exercise gauntlet is a potent blend of presses and flyes guaranteed to rectify any weak points.
For everyone, beginner or advanced,I stress one final point: Learn how to properly do a flat and incline press. I see too many people using the wrong muscles to help lift the weight instead of allowing for a full pectoral contraction. 
Remember, you're trying to build muscle, not just trying to press the heaviest weight you can.

THE ART OF CHEST TRAINING


I may display what's considered today's bodybuilding ideal. A lean and proportioned physique has landed many athletes a number of prominent fitness modeling gigs. But when I started working out, I didn't start training with that aim in mind.
Because my workouts must produce multiple effects, I simply can't just spendmy chest days benching for max weight. 
Instead, I strive to lift, as much as, I can in a short period of time while employing a range of exercises.
Nothing can be more detrimental to our athletic performance than puny pecs.  I've learned that the best results come from a combination of power and endurance.
I train my chest with a focus on supersets and reaching momentary muscle failure. 
The first and second supersets include low reps of incline barbell presses and weighted dips to failure. These sets target power and strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment